Friday 19 February 2010

Adrenalin Rush (day 1)

White river rafting down the Zambezi is fantastic and classed at category 4 and some rapids were category 5. Scheduled with Fawlty Towers but run by Safari Par Excellence, we have had the most memorable experience.

We joined a group from the overland company GAP and met some sponky people. The day was run very safely and professionally. After being briefed on security procedures we set off in the converted cattle bus 10miles upstream from Victoria Falls. Passing the stunning and mind-boggling site of one of the seven wonders of the world, we made our way to the steepest gorge I have ever climbed down to get to the start of our rafting experience.

I will let the pics tell the story. In our raft, from back left: Andrew, Campbell, Sandra. From front left Steve, me, a very crazy Irish guy named Ray and our guide Baby Face.

I thought I was in the winning team until the first major rapid called "The Mother" and with names such as Oblivion, Terminator, Gnashing Jaws of Death etc we thought The Mother would be a pretty tame rapid. It swallowed us whole.
What goes down, must come up ... >>>
...and over. I am the one second from the bottom who is about to get face planted into the Zambezi >>>
As the American boys said "Mommy spanked us bad!"
At the time I couldn't quite work out how I was the only one to fall out of the raft on this occasion. The photos provide all the evidence...I was kicked out!!

Step 1. Campbell looks like he is on a rodeo ride, I am directly opposite him. >>>
Step 2. Campbell...still rodeo riding with well placed foot behind my bum. >>>

Step 3 . That's my leg in the air going overboard while everyone else survived the rapid. >>>
We all lived to tell the tale >>>
After the awesome rafting experience we treated ourselves to a sunset booze cruise which was stunning. We saw a croc and some hippo. Very cool.
Tomorrow we will get our adrenalin fix from extreme height thrills.

3 comments:

  1. I peeded myself laughing at this blog. Ally - not a graceful decent off the side of the raft. Cam - noticed you didn't make any effort to dive in after your loved one. :) Looks like this was brilliant fun. Hope you remembered the sunscreen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehehe Cam obviously knew where to put his foot to get the most leverage. hehehehee. love you Ally Wally!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too, too much!!! Side- splitting fun to read. Cam, gave you a good shove- and right on target too. When I saw the clip with your leg in the air..... I folded!! Never laughed so much in my whole life!! Love you too much, move ova JK Rawling!! MUM XX

    ReplyDelete