Saturday 13 March 2010

Two cops and a bottle of gin

African countries are filled with police road blocks. Mostly they are trouble free, freindly affairs. Except for our most recent one. A cop waves us off the road and the conversation goes like this..

Campbell: Hello, how are you?

Cop: Very good thank you. My freind, we have a problem.

Campbell: What problem?

Cop: Well, my freind, this machine (cop produces a speed tracker that looks like a packman game) says you were going too fast.

Campbell: Really? This is a Land Rover, they don't go fast.

Cop: Can I have your licence please. You pay cash fine now. (cop walks away with licence, Campbell stays in the car, Cop returns) What is wrong my freind?

Campbell: I have no money.

Cop: Okay, I let you off with a warning but you still pay me a fine.

Campbell: Huh?

(Campbell hands over a bottle of gin we have been carrying for weeks)

Cop takes gin and smiles. We drive on.

3 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm i was wondering when you were going to experience Africa's unique negotiating skills...Keep the stories coming-I'm loving them!
    Sis xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats brilliant if all cops were so easily made happy. Sounds like you having a blast.
    Take care
    Kat

    ReplyDelete